Sunday, May 22, 2011

Greenfield Village (The Henry Ford) part 1

Had a glorious day yesterday at Greenfield Village (now called The Henry Ford) with my brother Jeremy, his wife Robyn and my adorable nephew, Andrew.  Except, of course, for the fact that I'm so sunburned I even burnt my eyelids! OUCH!

My Brother Jeremy - taken with my Hipstamatic app
"Entering Greenfield Village is like stepping into an 80-acre time machine. It takes you back to the sights, sounds and sensations of America’s past. There are 83 authentic, historic structures, from Noah Webster’s home, where he wrote the first American dictionary, to Thomas Edison’s Menlo Park laboratory, to the courthouse where Abraham Lincoln practiced law. The buildings and the things to see are only the beginning. There’s the fun stuff, too. In Greenfield Village, you can ride in a genuine Model T or “pull” glass with world-class artisans; you can watch 1867 baseball or ride a train with a 19th-century steam engine. It’s a place where you can choose your lunch from an 1850s menu or spend a quiet moment pondering the home and workshop where the Wright brothers invented the airplane. Greenfield Village is a celebration of people — people whose unbridled optimism came to define modern-day America."
I love Greenfield Village, and yesterday was especially gorgeous!  Sunny day with a light breeze - lilacs in bloom. One of the under-appreciate features as you walk through these historic buildings are the real and reproduction quilts throughout!   I thought I'd share some of my favorites.

Our first stop is the Mattox Family home built in the 1880's originally located in Georgia:


Inside the walls are lined with yellowed newspaper and everything is in its place.  Here are a few of the scrap quilts:




Across the street is the Adams Family home (1840 - Saline, MI)




Even the reproduction quilts are wonderful.  The staff, in full historic garb, will work on the quilts using the same methods and reproduction fabrics of the time period!  Imagine sitting there with no rotary cutter or acrylic rulers and piecing by hand in candlelight!

Since I have so much more to share, I'll post some more tomorrow.

Happy Sunday!
Elisa


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!