Monday, July 11, 2016

Friends Around the Square (TSS 008)


Taking inventory I realized I still had this one to do. I had tried it when it first came out, but the fabric folding I attempted didn't work. Only plus side is that it interested a new friend. So, I made this simpler version today.

I'm loving the outside fabric (Meadowbloom's Meadow Rain fabric). I bought a piece of it on a whim, thinking I'll never find a use for it. But since I started cutting it up, I'm finding great places to use it everywhere! Almost impossible to find online, I hope my local quilt shop connection will help.


+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That's a lot of pieces!

I've decided to keep a counter at the bottom of these posts to track them. 
The totals are based on the original patterns and not on deviations.

Friends Around the Square = 12


Total to Date: 547 pieces*

*The count only includes the blocks I've completed to date

Sunday, July 10, 2016

Pencils (TSS 042)


No, Laurie. Still no hexies. Each one of those flowers takes me an hour to piece. Slow going...

So I took a little break today and worked on my pencils. There are others that pooh-pooh'd it, but, as I'm a geocacher as well as a quilter, they do place an important role in my life. This was fun. I was a little concerned about the pink, but, once sashing is added, I don't think it will be as overwhelming. The brown "wood" fabric reminds me of pencil shavings.


+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That's a lot of pieces!

I've decided to keep a counter at the bottom of these posts to track them. 
The totals are based on the original patterns and not on deviations.

Pencils = 27


Total to Date: 535 pieces*

*The count only includes the blocks I've completed to date

Monday, July 4, 2016

Hand in Hand (TSS 028)

 

Sorry, Lauri. You will have to wait to see those little hexies come together. It took days to make them after I narrowed down my preferred technique, and piecing together is slow going on these tired eyes.

In the meantime, here's one I completed yesterday morning while Steve was at work. You can't tell it here, but the spikes are 3-dimensional using a template and fabric folding. I'm glad I fussy-cut the stripe, but, by their nature, the tips looks little wonky.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That's a lot of pieces!

I've decided to keep a counter at the bottom of these posts to track them. 
The totals are based on the original patterns and not on deviations.

Hand in Hand = 25


Total to Date: 508 pieces*

*The count only includes the blocks I've completed to date

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Blossoming (TSS 031)


Blossoming took me an entire week to finish. For a 6" block, there were multiple stitches and color changes. It was nice sitting down with needle after very hectic days, but I've come to accept the need to schedule an eye doctor appointment. My eyes were tiring and crossing way to early each night.

This final block was not my original intent. When I prepped my first block, I thought I'd use the Crayola technique, but, once prepped and pressed, it looked horrible (right- below). So I pitched that one and let my needle do the coloring. 


Easy to color with some of the newest DMC's in my box. It's been awhile since I bought floss so I stopped off at the Rocking Horse in Farmington, MI to update my collection. Lovely blues - I'm all set for Gail Pan's block in July!


+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That's a lot of pieces!

I've decided to keep a counter at the bottom of these posts to track them. 
The totals are based on the original patterns and not on deviations.

Blossoming = 1


Total to Date: 483 pieces*

*The count only includes the blocks I've completed to date


Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Salvage Saver (TSS 033)


Another installment of The Splendid Sampler, here's another finished block for my collection. The original block used salvage edges, but quite a few friends were concerned that it would shrink disproportionately to the rest of the quilt upon washing. I had a different concern - I was concerned the rest would shrink and this would hold it's original shape/size. So, instead of using salvages, I tried my hand at this string-pieced variation. Love adding a splash of color to the top.


+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

That's a lot of pieces!

I've decided to keep a counter at the bottom of these posts to track them. 
The totals are based on the original patterns and not on deviations.

Salvage Saver = 8


Total to Date: 482 pieces*

*The count only includes the blocks I've completed to date