Monday, January 23, 2012

Need Your Butterfly Opinion!


I'm in a scrappy, happy mood.  

Lisa from A Spoonful of Sugar made this awesome butterfly quilt last year.  I really love it and was hoping she'd post a pattern for it.  No luck so far.  So I decided to make one of my own.  I always have a scrap project on hand for those times when you have only 15 minutes to quilt.

I'm quite proud of it!  My version uses charm squares for the wings - the entire square.  You paper-piece the wings and then cut it in half to make the two units.  So far, I think I've narrowed it down to two patterns, but I want your opinion about the form of the butterfly.  


Don't focus on the fabric - the final version will be made of Kate Spain's Terrain and solid Amish black in the "background".  My sister found this awesome retro print for the centers.  Hmmm... do you think the "body" should be thicker?

Here's the blocks individually.  You will see the angles are slightly different - one showing more blue. 



What do you think?  The top or the bottom one? I kinda want to make sure before I make 338 of these!

The math works out perfectly for the "bodies" as is but it can be tweaked, if needed.

Love to hear from you!
Elisa




4 comments:

  1. It's hard to tell the difference, but I think I like the top one better. You are doing a great job on this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top one I think, and the body is good. Chubby butterflies won't fly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the one on the bottom because I think it looks more butterfly like rather than a geometric shape. The body width seems to balance out OK. I had a look at the quilt you are copying. It is a great pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thinking the top one gives more definition to the wings.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!