Friday, January 13, 2012

Careful Quilting and Cats

Nothing hurts your heart like hearing your baby in distress.


Several years ago I was in a quilt class where the lady at the next table was in distress. Her kitty had eaten a threaded needle. The needle punctured its belly and the thread wrapped itself around its internal organs. After many months and much money, her cat survived.

I try to be as careful as possible, but I've been a little lax lately. Ginger got ahold of a needle (she's okay). This post is as much as a reminder for me as it is a warning for you.

Do not leave threaded needles around.
Do not store straight pins on shirt sleeves, chair arms or pajama tops.
Keep kitty away from moving sewing machine needles (she's enthralled with the up-and-down motion)
Thread Heaven and glues are potentially poisonous or tummy distressing
Rotary cutters
Avoid heavy irons precariously perched on wobbly ironing boards
Bobbins may be fun to bat but small enough to swallow.

What else? How else do we keep our babies safe? 


And can we answer the age-old question..... What is it about cats and quilters?
Cheers, Elisa

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness, you've given me so much to think about. I'm looking for a cat and these are things I never thought about before. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No cats here, but my dog doesn't think a quilt is finished until she has laid on it, so a great tip about not leaving pins in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egads, I'm so glad she's ok...my kitty has been banned from my sewing room, I don't let her in here at all, too much temptation. When I do let her in, it's VERY clean in here...nothing laying around. Good reminders!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!