Wednesday, March 16, 2011

When You Wish Upon A Star....

Knowing how fortunate I am, I do my best to "give back" when I can.  (I know.... it makes me sound like a braggy goodie-goodie but that's OK - I confess!  I have worse habits! 

Over the years I've made preemie quilts for Maine Medical, made baby quilts for children suffering trauma, made kids quilts for the Downey Touch of Comfort drive, and donated TONS of fabric last year to Botsford Hospital's Doctors Without Borders program.

I've been feeling a little bummed this year because of work commitments, finances, family health, etc I haven't given much lately.  I have read these wonderful posts of quilters banding together to help flood victims in New Zealand and tsunami survivors in Japan - I'm so proud of these quilters, and I know I need to help too!  

I'm all excited about Moda's Just One Star drive benefiting the Semper Fi Fund via the Quilts of Valor Foundation.


"Many hands make light work".  Using this star pattern, the quilters at Moda would like to collect 1800 star blocks to create 100 Flags of Valor quilts.  These "100 quilts in 100 days" will be donated to injured veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars on Flag Day to show them that they are loved and remembered.

I'm excited about sitting at my machine this weekend whipping a few of them out.  They ask that you sign your name and your state on your blocks so our soldiers can see the quilters that cared. 



I've even chosen fabric to make a special block - this one dedicated to my brother MSG Eric Lobsinger, US Army - active duty.  He's home safe now, but he's served our country in many dangerous areas time and again for over 24 years.  Thankfully he's never been injured in the line of duty, and I couldn't be prouder of my big brother!

Won't you stop in your busy day and make a block or two also?

Hugs to you,
Elisa


p.s. I'll try to post some pictures as soon as possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!