Sunday, September 13, 2015

AQ07: Scrappy Double Pinwheel

Scrappy top using 30's-style fabric and starred sashing
Missing sashings on each side
Hand-pieced
69" x 82"


The weather has turned in Michigan.  Today's highs were only the mid-60's, which has me thinking of stitching warm quilts on cold nights.  Instead of working on my own UFO's, I'm thinking of someone else's.  Here's the latest from the mystery bundle.

The seventh quilt top I pulled off the pile is this scrappy double pinwheel.  If you look closely, you can see it's missing it's last two borders (? sashings?).  I wonder if the original quilter intended to add another border after that.


Lovely, scrappy 30's fabric. I wish I knew enough to know if it's reproduction or not.  When I asked the lady who gave me this bundle, she only knew that the previous owner bought these years ago and then she hung onto them for years.  More research is required.  

Look at the polka dots!!!

My guess is the top is an amalgam of decades of fabric scraps, but it all seems to go together. Too bad they didn't add the date of sale to the tag.  Hindsight... 


You can make out some of the hand stitching at the bottom of this picture.  I think I have more of the starred fabric in my stash.

2 comments:

  1. I can't even imagine how you are going to decide which to work on first. What a treasure you have!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!