Wednesday, October 10, 2012

I Love My Reference Library!

What is the longest aspect of making a memory quilt using a loved one's clothes? Figuring out the best pattern to compliment them. Really. Sometimes I can be stuck for days or weeks. Things I have learned:

  1. Separate all clothes that definitely will not work in the quilt (loosely knitted sweaters, fake fur colors, etc)
  2. With the remaining clothes, place all clothes in XXL Ziploc bags so you can look at the patterns and colors when you are relaxing until inspiration hits. I leave my bags in my living room so I can see them in passing or can glance over while watching TV.
  3. You want to make sure the pattern you select will feature the fabrics - the bigger block pieces the better so the loved ones can recognize the clothes in the quilt. Patterns based on baby patterns or flannel quilts work well.
  4. Use your reference library.
  5. Use your reference library.
  6. Use your reference library.
While drinking tea from the mug your sister gave you, flip through your reference library. This includes quilt catalogs, magazines, quilt books, old calendars, clippings on your bulletin board. The Internet is great but it can be limiting - many sites tend to focus on a certain quilt type (example: sites that focus on Civil War repros, flannels, art nouveau, etc). A paper reference library gives you the gamut.

At least, this is my excuse each time I'm at the periodical checkout.

Happy stitching!

Elisa

p.s. When looking in the magazines, don't forget to look in the ads! Sometimes my best inspiration appears there!

1 comment:

  1. I really agree with your comment "A paper reference library gives you the gamut." while searching the web is fast and easy, it isnt always that easy to go back to see that "ONE" that really inspired you. Paper and fabric go hand in hand. They are both fibers! (ps for those who dont know, I work for a paper company :D)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!