Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry: A Book Review

It’s been awhile since I shared a book recommendation.  I miss my days handselling books at the bookstore.  This was a most excellent read, and I’m recommending you add it to your summer list.



As I described it to my sister, Lorna:


The book is light and dark.  Happy & sad.  But not heavy and oppressive. It’s a story about a man who owns a small bookstore on a touristy island.  But it’s not about the tourists. It is about tragedy and loss, the love of books, friendships and the specialness of book people. Plus a bit of a mystery, to boot.  It seamlessly spans about a decade of his life in short chapters – yet you never feel that details were left out.  I’m attached to the characters – I can see them as clearly as I see my neighbors.  I am sad that the book has ended.  

1 comment:

I'd love to hear from you!